Having proven that life is possible in outer space, in Mission: Lunar Trek, Astro Recruits shift focus to landing humans on the Moon. Campers will learn the principles of flight by practicing using flight sims and drones and then apply that knowledge to fly a powered airplane. They will then take a deep dive into building an underwater ROV (like the Remotely Operated Vehicles that helped bring up the Mercury Liberty Bell 7 Module and the F-1 engines of the Saturn V) and work together to recover rocket parts from the depths of a pool.
Check-In: HCC dorms 12:00-12:45 pm
Orientation: 1:00 pm on first day
Graduation: 10:00 am on final day
- June 16-21, 2024*
- July 7-12, 2024
- July 21-26, 2024
*Astronaut Don Thomas will be a part of the June 16-21 session, $100 additional fee applies.
To register for a camp, a parent or guardian can log in to an existing profile on the Camper Portal. New users will need to create a new profile. For more information about registering for a camp, view the FAQ page. If you have questions or need help, please contact the camp support team from the CONTACT page.
Please check out the Preparing for Overnight Camp document.
*If the camp your camper wishes to attend is sold out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the camper’s name, and camp date to be placed on a waitlist.
- Complete a mission to land on the Moon using the Cosmosphere’s Mission Control Center, the Altair Lunar Lander, and featuring the Astralis capsule-based simulator modeled after NASA’s Orion capsule
- Get first-hand knowledge on the physics of flight with powered airplane training, and an actual flight in a single-engine airplane.
- Learn how to effectively operate drones and take drone photography pictures.
- Build underwater ROVs and retrieve rocket parts from the depths of a pool
- Train like an astronaut in the 4-G Centrifuge, the Multi-Axis Trainer (MAT), and a Russian Soyuz Spacecraft Simulator!
- Use your engineering skills to build a Rube Goldberg machine.
- Dive into exciting worlds using virtual reality technology.
- Build team communication and problem-solving skills on Cosmosphere’s CosmoWorks Challenge Course.
Career Clusters Focus:
- Architecture and Construction
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
Please note: Activities are subject to change. Significant changes will be communicated prior to camp.