Spring break visitors are invited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission at the home of the authentic Apollo 13 spacecraft—the Cosmosphere!
We will offer extended hours until 7 pm, March 14–22.
Apollo 13 Special Activities
- Take a selfie with the actual Apollo 13 spacecraft, Odyssey. Be sure to tag us on social media with #ISawOdyssey, then drop by the Box Office for a commemorative sticker (while supplies last)!
- Find Apollo 13 artifacts in the museum* with a fun scavenger hunt. *Ticket required.
- Collect commemorative Apollo 13 trading cards (while supplies last) featuring the crew, the mission and the spacecraft.
- Get creative with Apollo 13 coloring activities in our grand lobby for the kids!
NEW Exhibit: Apollo 13: A Mission of Survival
Restored on-site, the authentic Apollo 13 spacecraft —Odyssey—calls the Cosmosphere home! SpaceWorks, a division of the Cosmosphere specializing in restoration, replication and exhibit design also had a major role in re-creating the mission for Hollywood and the 1995 movie “Apollo 13”— producing more than 80 percent of the movie’s props. From spacesuits worn by Tom Hanks to the replicated Lunar Module, the Cosmosphere’s work can be seen throughout the film. Learn more about the mission and the Cosmosphere’s role in the film in this new exhibit near the Cosmosphere Café, at the top of the museum entrance.
Apollo 13 Guided Tours*
Don't miss the docent guided tours through the Cosmosphere museum, with special attention given to the Apollo 13 mission and artifacts. Tours times are available on March 14, 21 and 28 at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm. *A ticket into the Hall of Space Museum is required.
Apollo 13 Hutchinson Community Partners
Don't miss these amazing community partners that are helping us celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 13 all throughout Hutchinson — March 14-April 19, 2020. Be sure to drop by and shop local!
- Bogey’s: March's Shake of the Month: Moon Pie Shake. A classic snack that features the "grand slam" of snack ingredients - chocolate, marshmallow and graham crackers!
- HutchRec: Salt City Half Marathon race and a special 13% off discount for the 13.1-mile race. Participants need to enter: APOLLO13 at online check-out for a 13% off discount on race registration at hutchrec.com. The code is active now through April 19, 2020.
- Bluebird Books & Cafe: Apollo 13/Space-themed barista blend drinks and special bookstore displays
- Hutchinson Public Library: Space themed book display
- Metropolitan Coffee: Enjoy space-themed drink specials! Plus, show your Cosmosphere All-Access Mission Pass dated April 13-19, 2020, at Metropolitan Coffee and get 10% off your order!
- Skaets Steak Shop:
• March 16-April 5: All Kiddie Menu items will be served with “Moon” Smiley Face Potato Cakes.
• March 17-19: Receive a free drink with purchase of a "Moonburger."
• April 2-3: Receive a free drink with purchase of a "Moonburger."
• Out-of-this-world special deal “GALAXY CHEESECAKE” Regular price 4.99 will be half price ($2.49) thru April 4 with the purchase of any meal.
• Need a break in the afternoon, "GALAXY CHEESECAKE" only $3.00 with purchase of a beverage. Good thru the April 4.
- Sugartime Confections: Space-themed bakery items for sale.
- Hutchinson Community College: Thank you for helping spread the word about Apollo 13 with your electronic board at 13th and Plum!
- Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System: Many thanks for helping spread the word about Apollo 13 with your electronic board at 17th and Waldron!
- Visit Hutch and Hutch Chamber: Many thanks for helping spread the word about Apollo 13!
New CosmoKids Area and X-Plane Gallery Opens!
On March 16, two brand new areas in the Cosmosphere museum will be open to the public.
The CosmoKids interactive area is designed specifically for the Cosmosphere’s youngest visitors (ages two to six) and will introduce children to STEM (or STEAM — Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) principles with hands-on learning activities. Children will be able to design and launch a rocket, climb in an “Orion” style space capsule and build a habitat for another world using stacking building blocks.
The redesigned Cosmosphere museum entrance area will feature a brand new X-Plane gallery, where visitors will learn about the program’s important testing and breaking of boundaries which lead to a better understanding of the impact high altitude and high speed flight had on humans and hardware.
NEW Documentary: Ancient Caves
Opens Friday, March 13. Combining science and adventure, viewers will follow paleo-climatologist, Dr. Gina Moseley, on a journey to unlock the secrets of the Earth's climate in the most unlikely of places: caves. For show times, call: 620.665.9347 or see cosmo.org.