EDUCATION + COMMUNITY
Wonder. That state when awe and curiosity combine to create a
palpable desire to understand more. Neil Armstrong said it best—
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man’s desire to understand.”
The Cosmosphere honors those whose quest to understand led them to overcome insurmountable odds and to, quite literally, reach new heights. It provides challenging questions and scenarios that demand the real world application of what students might otherwise think of as abstract classroom theory. It’s where live demonstrations bring science to life in exciting and entertaining ways.
The Cosmosphere Outreach Programs includes a presentation and a hands-on activity. Both last around 45 minutes each. The presentation can also be live-streamed.
Cost: $599 within 60 miles, additional $200 for every 50 miles. (See map.) If you are in the Dane Hansen Network, the Outreach Programs are free.
ROCKETS (Dr. Goddard’s Lab: K-12)
- Straw rockets (K-2)
- Build and launch straw rockets testing different methods to make them go as far as possible.
- Air Rockets (3-12)
- Build and launch air rockets testing different methods to make them go as far as possible.
ENGINEERING DESIGN (3-12)
- Build a better lander (6-12)
- Find out what it is like to be an engineer and create a new lander to deliver people safely to the Moon.
- Space Junk (3-8)
- Find out what it is like to be an engineer and create a robot to clean up the junk hanging out around the Earth.
LIVING IN SPACE (K-12)
- Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream
- Make ice cream the quick and easy way by using liquid nitrogen.
- Drawing Shapes (K-2)
- Program a robot to draw out different types of shapes.
- Sphero’s Maze (3-12)
- Program a robot to make its way through a maze.
SOLAR SYSTEM (K-12)
- Scaling (K-8)
- Create celestial bodies and then find out how far away they are from one another.
- Solar System Bracelets (3-12)
- Create a model of the solar system on a bracelet.
- Foam Plate Gliders
- Build a glider and see how far you can make it fly.
SPACE AG (K-12)
- Indoor greenhouse
- Design and build a scaled down greenhouse that houses as many plants as possible in a certain amount of space.
- Create a constellation (K-5)
- Create brand new constellations.
- Spectroscopy (6-12)
- Study the science of spectroscopy and learn how we know what elements stars are made of.
BEYOND OUR SOLAR SYSTEM (K-12)
- Voyager and the Golden Disc
- Create a personal golden disc that includes information on what you would want aliens to know about us
- Windmills (3-12)
- Design and build a windmill that produces electricity.
HAZARDS OF SPACE (K-12)
- Paper Doll Spacesuits (K-5)
- Learn about how a spacesuit operates by creating one for a paper doll.
- Pressure (6-12)
- Explore the hazards of pressure through hands-on experiments.
- Moon Oreos
- Model Moon phases, lunar eclipses, and more using oreos.
Plan your Outreach Program today! Contact the School Programs Manager at 620.665.9319 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.